Sunday 30 November 2008

Doesn't It Matter Anymore?

I want to start this off with a question: when you get new friends, do you ever wonder why you liked that person in the first place? Is it because they're funny, you have similar interests, or don't you care about any of that...do you like them because of the way they look?!
Though some might not want to admit it, this is the first thing some people consider when it comes to choosing their friends or who they hang out with, they don't put anything else into consideration. I can definitely say this (in a way) applies to people in the schools I've gone too.. and even the school I'm at now.

Now I could be talking about seniors in high school, I could be talking about people in my year (who knows?), I could even be talking about people younger than me (actually I'm not... I wouldn't stoop that low) but I'm not talking about every single person in the school...thankfully not everyone thinks like this... but especially this year, people have become more materialistic and shallow when it comes to choosing their friends and who they generally talk to. I can think of a few new people for instance... they've only been at the school for about I don't know... 2-3 months, and they're already part of this "in crowd", they're already known by half of the school, they're already "BFFs" with people I've never been that close too, even if I've tried.

When seeing this, I see a pattern, because all these people that have fit in SO WELL just happen to have that look which is considered "attractive", they all wear Abercrombie, Hollister or any other of those American brands... some of them are even stinking rich.
This can't be fair on the other students of the school, the ones that have been there longer than them, some that have even been there for at least 5 years, the ones that have spent their whole time at the school TRYING to be accepted by these people, just for the new students to come along and fit in almost straight away like it's nothing!! Not only this but the fact that this is happening PROVES my theory in a previous post that you have to be either Swedish, blonde or speak a second language in order to properly fit in.

I look at some these new people, and how many people they all of a sudden know after a short space of time, and how some people are already in love with them and I wonder: If it wasn't for their looks or how much money they have...would they be so popular right now??

The answer to that is probably no. The truth is, there are some people out there who will befriend anyone to get what they want; whether it's something materialistic, connections, or maybe just popularity to up their status in school. Why is it only this year that people have started to become so shallow?! If someone was to ask you why you started talking to that person in the first place, do you know how bad it would sound if you came out with "It's because he's hot" or "Because she's rich" or "Because they can get me into certain places"?!

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel jealous of these people who have fit in so quickly, if I feel anything it's pity, because half the time these people don't realise WHY so many people began to like them in the first place... they haven't figured out yet that it's based on what they have and what they look like instead of who they truly are as a person. Some of them haven't realised that they're being USED. Unfortunately, some of them will never know. Some of them will never find this out because they're too stuck in this other world... this world that will never be like the real world.

Let me ask you something...How would YOU feel if someone didn't like you because of what you had (or didn't have) and what you look like?? Oh wait...some of you would NEVER understand that feeling would you?! Some of you are stuck in this fantasy world were everything is "perfect", where you're constantly surrounded by others and how it's all about you.
Well I can tell you this, it's not a nice feeling. For someone to judge you before they've even gotten to know you on a personal level is wrong, because they'll NEVER know the real you, even if other people were to tell you things about yourself.

These people who only like others materialistically and look wise...will they EVER know the real person underneath that?? Let's face it, once you look past some of these people's riches, their looks and all the things they have, you'll find that some of them have as much personality as a Barbie you'd pick up at Toys 'r' Us. But then again, they'll probably never look at them that deeply, because they don't genuinely care for that person.

If being fully accepted into such a society means that I have to change my appearence, be rich or just wear Abercrombie & Fitch every other day, then I'd rather not be accepted by everyone if not most people. It's times like these where I want to leave such a place and go somewhere else...but that being said, how do I know if people in another school/area don't have the same judgements or mindset?? Only one way to find out...

No comments: